mercredi 26 mars 2008

Making a discovery in a favorite place


The Place des Vosges is one of the prettiest squares in all of Paris. It is full of history and charm and as such is packed frequently with tourists and residents who want to spend a pleasant hour or two in the park. I’ve always liked it with its red and cream buildings and the little square of green in the middle. And I have found another reason to like it even more. Just off on one of the side streets of the Place is a little restaurant called Le Petit Marche which is a delightful little place to have lunch after walking around and shopping in the Marais. While not very big, it has a warm and cheerful ambiance. It seems to be a local place, with hardly any tourists around. And I noticed that there are tables around the terrasse which makes it a perfect place for lunch or dinner once warm weather finally arrives.
The menu features inventive cooking involving hints of Asian cooking. A bit of fusion, you might say. Oftentimes when the word fusion is used in conjunction with a menu, it just means confused, but in this case Petit Marche really does a good job of mixing asian influences with more traditional dishes. I was hard pressed to choose between their regular fish dishes like salmon or tuna. However, since I was a bit pressed for time, I opted for the daily menu which was quite a good deal. It was 14 euros for an entrée and plat, or plat and dessert if you prefer to indulge your sweet tooth. The day’s plat du jour when I arrived was a choice between caramelized porc with gratinee of potatoes or grilled mackerel served with greens. Opting for the seemingly healthier option, I went with the mackerel and absolutely didn’t regret my choice. I was served a hearty double portion of fish grilled just enough without losing the delicate hint of freshness. It was delicious with the side of greens. Of course, my sweet tooth had to be indulged and it was again the right choice. I was served a delicious confection of pain perdu (what we would otherwise call pudding) with a dollop of cream on the side. An altogether delicious combination which fortified me well enough to brave the cold outdoors once again.

Aucun commentaire: