mercredi 11 juin 2008



Sooner or later everyone comes to Paris. This is one thing I’ve learned during the brief time that I’ve been living here. And since most people I know have a thing for having lovely meals and since, a good deal of socializing involves sharing a meal, I’ve come to designate one restaurant as the go-to-place for our visitors. It is Le Fumoir.
There are a number of things going for it. First being its wonderful location. Ideal for visitors because it’s on the line 1 and is therefore incredibly easy to find and even more importantly, the restaurant is right across the façade of the Louvre. There’s nothing quite like having a meal where one is in such close proximity to the world’s most beautiful art can be found and as facades go, it’s a wonderfully designed one. And at night when the walls are lit, it is romantic and evocative of all things that people come to Paris for. For those fond of celebrity trivia and bits of useless information, Le Fumoir is also next to the church of St.Germain- L’Auxerrois, yes, where Eva Longoria wed Tony Parker.
The restaurant itself is elegant and chic with a terrase outside for those sunny Parisian days. But my absolute favorite part is definitely the library towards the back part of the room. If possible try to get a table here since its cozy and well, I think it’s a great idea to dine surrounded by books and all it represents. I love the fact of having art just outside and literature right where I can see it.
If location and setting doesn’t quite convince you, then the food definitely will. I have to confess that I wasn’t expecting much since the food guide I consulted for our first visit didn’t seem to be extremely impressed. But to my happy surprise, the food was more than passable, and even very good. It just goes to show that sometimes guides don’t know everything. The food has never disappointed whether I ate at dinner, lunch or even brunch. They feature daily specials as well as different formulas for lunch or Sunday brunch. I love the way they grill their Argentinean steak. It is so wonderfully grilled yet it retains its tenderness and flavor. Another favorite is their salmon dish which must be marinated with something special because it comes to your table moist and tender with every morsel just melting in your mouth. And since the portions are quite ample, there’s normally no more room for dessert but their orange cake and chocolate fondant are worth trying too. After all, you can always take a digestive little walk along the Seine, since it is also literally a stone’s throw away from the restaurant. What better way than that to end one’s dinner?


Aucun commentaire: