dimanche 26 avril 2009

Lunch done right


Oftentimes lunch is a rushed affair. A sandwich to go or a salad hastily gulped down and then its back to work. It’s a shame since lunch, done properly, provides a real break from work. When I’ve had my fill of sandwiches or nems, I try to find a nice place to have a good and reasonably priced lunch that won’t take too much time. I’ve recently discovered one such place up on Rue Charlemagne.

Le Framboisy opened fairly recently but is steadily gaining a number of faithful diners. It is cheerfully done in shades of cream and brown enlivened by colorful prints on the wall. The conversation piece in the room is the big old fashioned elevator with a wheel and pulley system that goes up and down the basement when the chef or owner wants to bring back some bottles. And if you are so inclined to sit and bask in the sun, they have a lovely terrasse that faces out on to the quiet street with a view of the Seine in the distance. The chef is English (a fact which musn’t discouraged French diners) and the menu changes daily to reflect the season. There is an emphasis on fresh produce. There are usually three or four kinds of plat du jour and you can have a formule lunch of entrée and plat or plat and dessert.

The food at Framboisy is both savory and filling. My first lunch there featured a lovely red bell pepper stuffed with squash accompanied by a side of green salad. It was delicious. I’m not normally a fan of stuffed vegetables but this particular pepper was piquant and memorable. You had the feeling to eat something healthy but not to eat merely grass. Dessert that time too was memorable—a delicious tarte aux poires et amandes. It was simply delightful and now I go back regularly to check if they have it listed as the dessert du jour. The next time I came around for lunch, I went for their roasted pork with a side of baked potatoes and salad and it was so good, I nearly swooned with the taste. Needless to say, I half- dozed my way through the rest of the day.




Practical Details
Le Framboisy
16, rue Charlemagne
75004 Paris
01 42 72 14 16

3 commentaires:

Peach Ledesma a dit…

Hi Meg! :-) Post pictures of the food! They sound delish :)

Pink Princess a dit…

Okay, next time I definitely will!

virginie ATLP a dit…

It seems to be very good! now i really wanna eat a tarte aux poires yummyyyyyyyyyy