jeudi 13 mai 2010

To brogue or not to brogue

Its mid-May and it feels like March with this cold temperature and rain. As a result my pretty ballerines have yet to make an appearance. What to do when you don’t much feel like putting on knee high winter boots? Booties are one option. Another one that I’ve been considering lately is the brogue or oxford shoe. Its been around awhile (I’m sure Annie Hall had a pair of her own and Serge Gainsbourg wore a pair of Repetto brogues pretty much all the time) but as its normally not my style I hadn’t really realized its full potential. There are ways to prettify these rather masculine shoes. Worn with a short skirt and pretty top or even a simple tank top makes for a fresh and current look. Looking over what I've just written, I just realized that it doesn't really help my predicament about finding something for this weather but now its much more fun to figure out ways to look pretty, cold weather be damned!


Surfing the net, you can see how celebrities and yes, ordinary people wear the shoes....


I like how Sienna Miller looks carefree and put together at the same time in this look. Fortunately for us, the current demand for brogues have induced designers to come up with more feminine versions.
These two pictures are from the Sartorialist. I am not too fond of Garance Dore, but she looks great in this photo. And her shoes while more masculine looking than that of Sienna's, looks pretty wearable too.
Some random stranger queuing in line.

Of course, seeing all these looks made me want to find my own pair. I've turned up a couple of nice ones....

J. Crew does a nice one in white. Unfortunately, they still don't deliver in France


A cute one in tones of brown and caramel from Shopbop.....


This peach patent pair I would totally wear!
Would you wear brogues? And how would you style it?

Aucun commentaire: